Friday, March 23, 2007

Um…Mr. Davis? I’m Not Sure That’s What Randy Meant By “Booty Call”

While this site was primarily intended as a chuckle hut for my musings on hockey (Ed.—And morons…don’t forget the morons), I also have to admit a certain weakness for the game only about 5 percent of the world’s population calls “football”. Specifically, NFL football (we might get into my opinions of the Comedic Football League some time this summer…after the NHL playoffs, between a couple of PGA majors and before baseball heats up…maybe…. Unless I can find something more interesting to discuss. Like goiter).

I’ve been a Washington Redskins fan since the day, as an impressionable young lad of 12, I watched John Riggins run over, around and through the Miami Dolphins in Super Bowl XVII and then heard him dedicate his MVP award to his extraterrestrial mother while slugging back a 40 of Jack at the post-game press conference (Ed. – Um…pretty sure you just made that last bit up, but it is Riggins we’re talking about. We’ll get a fact checker on it.)

But I must confess, for reasons that will remain confidential to protect the identities of the disillusioned, a soft spot for the perpetually touring three-ring circus that is the Oakland/Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders. And by “soft spot” I of course mean “I thoroughly enjoy every step of Al Davis’ gradual descent into madness”. A descent I am only too happy to document from time to time. And this, friends, is one of those times:

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- The Oakland Raiders have signed quarterback Josh Booty, the former prep star who has been out of football since 2003 and has never thrown a pass in the NFL.

I cannot convey to you the sheer and utter JOY this has brought me this morning. Why? Well consider: The guy’s name is BOOTY for cryin’ out loud! They passed on Matt Leinert and Vince Young in last year’s draft. Hung their hopes on Aaron Brooks (Aaron Brooks!!) Cut Brooks after a…um…disappointing…season. Lose their back-up to free agency. The only QB left on the roster was carrying the clipboard a year ago. Did I mention the guy’s name is Booty??

GAWD that Al Davis! Genius!

Raiders Sign Booty [SI.com]

No comments: