A watershed moment in the history of our little chucklehut has come to a close, and we were victorious! Let the record show that the foundation of the inevitable takeover of cyberspace by our new Legions began on Thurday, October 18th 2007, launched off the wooden stick of one Jason Spezza! We have, in our hands, the makings of an Empire that will last for an entire week! Okay, maybe three days. A thousand years from now, future archaeologists while digging through the digital detritus of our lost civilization will come across this wager, and gaping with awe and wonder, exclaim: "Wow. These guys really should have gotten a life!"
- Martin Gerber. Grudgingly. My feelings on Swiss Pastry (flaky...get it? Thank you! I'll be here until Tuesday. Please tip your waitress) are well known. I don't trust him, never have trusted him and now that Rayzor's Hummer is back in the player's lot, I'm waiting for Captain Confidence to implode. But, for this game, he was good, with flashes of brilliance.
- Carey Price. This just in: This kid is good. I don't, as a rule, offer kudos to the opposition (I'm small and petty that way), but other than Redden's opening softie, this game could have been a blow out after the first period. On the road, facing the League's best offence would rattle any rookie. But Mr. Price acquitted himself very well. Of course, the Montreal media will eventually drive him to drink and destroy his career, but for now, I'll be magnanimous in victory.
- The crowd. Was it just me, or did the cheers for Montreal sound muted this time? Maybe, just maybe, we're starting to win over some converts from La Belle Province. Or, they just had a harder time getting tickets. Either way, there were definitely fewer Hab fans in attendance than games past. Now, if only we can figure out a way to keep Leaf fans out...
- With apologies to anyone who wasn't watching the local A-Channel Ottawa feed (you lucky, lucky bastards). Please, please PLEASE remove Gord Wilson from the play-by-play booth. He's such a homer, even we, as Sens fans, should cringe. Nothing is ever a Senator's fault. Referees are excoriated for missing calls only he can see. And worst of all, he won't SHUT THE FUCK UP DURING THE PLAY!! As I mentioned in the FHF game thread, Dean Brown is simply embarrassing. Gord Wilson makes me want to gouge my eardrums out with a spork.
- The NHL schedule makers. We played seven games in eleven days to open the season. Now, after tonight's game against the Panthers, we won't see a game until NEXT Saturday. Now I realize that there are many factors that come into play when putting together the season sched, but a week?? Come on. While this makes my Beloved very happy, I personally will hold all of you responsible for every re-run Sex In The City or episode of Men In Trees I will be compelled to watch for the sake of marital harmony over the next seven days.
Up Next: Tonight, against the Florida Panthers, at the Bank. Regional HNIC coverage on this one, so mercifully, Wilson will be put back into his box for another couple of weeks. If the Pussy Cats keep playing the way they have been since the beginning of the year, look for Jacques Martin to raise an eyebrow in uncontrollable rage.