Wednesday, June 18, 2008

NHL Meatmar...Er...Draft 2008! Now With 76% More Drunken Bloggers!


"Ottawa apologizes." With those immortal words uttered on a glorious June day in 1992, possibly while drunk, then GM Mel Bridgeman kicked off the Ottawa Senators' long and embarrassing disastrous painful illustrious draft day history. I'm not sure if you've heard, but this year's cattle call is happening in our own backyard of scenic Kanata, whereupon dozens of young men will kiss their moms, mount the stage in all of their pimply peach fuzzed glory, don a jersey, put on a baseball cap and rush out to buy Paraguay. Good times.

Now this may tag me as somewhat of a heretic amongst my blogospheric brethren (and...um..."sisteren"? Hi Sherry!) but I've never been a huge fan of the draft. Putting aside the inherent creepiness of middle aged men poring over the physical attributes of strapping young lads the way you would a thoroughbred ("Stamkos? Fantastic speed! Nice gait. Check his teeth."), it's hard to get excited by your team's draft picks when you know it will be a few years before you see them with the big club, if at all (freaks of nature named "Crosby" or "Ovechkin" excepted of course).

Now that said, there is one very good reason to get excited about this year's festivities. SensBlogCon 2008! Put together by none other than Ben Meyers, writer, editor and driving force-y goodness behind Sens Army, this inaugural meeting of Sens bloggers, fans and various sycophantic hangers-on promises to be an entertaining and enlightening little soiree indeed. Ben has the details up on his site as well as this Facebook group.

So join us, won't you? Not only will you be amongst kindred souls as we contemplate the pitiful sight of some poor bastard in his grandfather's suit who sat through seven rounds and never got picked, but also put pasty white faces behind the names of those responsible for some of the best Sens blogs on the interwebs. I hear most of them have even promised to wear pants.

4 comments:

Miss. Scarlett said...

"Sistern"...I like that!

Unfortunately, I had to cancel my plans to attend the draft this year so hope you guys have a ton of fun without me! And you guys had better behave as I won't be there to keep you fellas in line :P

but also put pasty white faces behind the names of those responsible for some of the best Sens blogs on the interwebs. I hear most of them have even promised to wear pants.

Well, technically I'm not white but I certainly am pasty!

And I made no such promise, guess it's a good thing I'm not going then!

Ben said...

Pants optional.

Habsfan10 said...

Pants are for suckers. We don't even let our readers wear pants.

Jaredoflondon said...

*yells from the back ground*

Don't you hate pants?